A Simple Spring Equinox Ritual for Balance
The equinox is a pivotal moment in the calendar year.
All ancient societies were guided by the movements of the sun and the moon, together with the constellations. This was for highly tangible reasons in that all agricultural societies are dependent on the light and the weather.
Even though today most of us live lives spent principally indoors, negotiating a virtual universe that is divorced from nature, all of us have felt at some point in our lives the mood depressing quality of short days and long nights. And by comparison, we all know the simple joy that comes from walking in natural beauty under a rich sun.
There are two equinoxes in the calendar year, in March and October. Both are moments when the day and the night are the same length, and symbolise the importance of balance as a guiding principle in life. In addition, the spring equinox is a portal into the new: the promise of new growth, the budding of new seeds and the welcoming of longer days.
To mark this very special moment here is a simple ritual:
- Take any quartz crystal and find a quiet place to sit.
- Holding the crystal in your palms take 7 deep breaths, focusing on connecting with the earth on the out breath. Feel yourself relaxing on each exhale.
- Connect with the quartz and bring to mind one goal you would love to bloom as we go into this new cycle.
- Visualise that goal – it can be personal or professional – and then use the outbreath to give that image to the quartz.
- Keep going until you feel balanced gratitude for that goal being achieved.